21 Jan 2015
Increase of MBBS Seats in Government Colleges
Increase of MBBS seats are in the offing for the academic year
Nearly 2500 seats are expected to be added in existing as well as in new government medical colleges.
The government medical colleges are located at different states in India.
Details are as under:
- 2 from Punjab and the cities are Patiala & Amritsar.
- 4 from Tamil Nadu and the cities are Coimbatore, Asaripallam Kanya Kumari, Tirunelveli and Madurai.
- 4 from Madhya Pradesh and the cities are Bhopal, Rewa, Indore and Gwalior.
- 2 from Rajasthan and the cities are Udaipur and Kota.
- 1 from Uttarakhand and the place is Haldwani.
Approval By Health Ministry for Increase of MBBS Seats
The proposal of the medical colleges to increase the annual intake of MBBS seats has been approved by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
This was confirmed by the minutes of meeting released to the press at the end of the high powered meeting held on 29 December 2014 chaired by Health Secretary.
Expected 13 government medical colleges for increase of MBBS Seats are:
- Government Medical College Patiala, Punjab
- Government Medical College Amritsar, Punjab
2) Tamil Nadu
- Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Kanya Kumari Government Medical College Asaripallam Tamil Nadu
- Tirunelveli Medical College, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu
- Madurai Medical College, Madurai, Tamil Nadu
- Government Medical College Haldwani, Uttarakhand
4) Madhya Pradesh
- Gandhi Medical College Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
- Gajra Raja Medical College, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh
- Shyam Shah Medical College, Rewa, Madhya Pradesh
- M G M Medical College, Indore, Madhya Pradesh
- R N T Medical College Udaipur Rajasthan
- Government Medical College Kota Rajasthan
Government Medical College Amritsar may not be allowed to increase MBBS Seats
However, there were some doubts that the Government Medical College Amritsar may not be given a go ahead for increase of MBBS seats for this academic year 2015-16.
The reasons cited by Medical Council of India’s executive committee is that the Out Patient Department in the Amritsar government Medical College is falling short of the required 2000 patients visiting daily to the OPD of the attached hospital of the government medical college.
New Government Medical Colleges to be linked to District Hospitals
In the same high powered meeting another proposal was approved wherein 7 new government medical colleges with 100 MBBS seats each will be established and linked to district hospitals at Port Blair, Nagaland, Uttarakhand, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh.
Details as under:
- GB Pant hospital with 400-bed strength located at Port Blair
- District Hospital with 300-bed strength situated at Kohima, Nagaland
- District Hospital with 500-bed strength at Almora, Uttarakhand
- District Hospitals at Churu with 300-bed strength and Dungarpur with 300-bed strength in Rajasthan,
- District Hospitals at Datia with 350- bed strength and District Hospital at Khandwa with 300-bed strength in Madhya Pradesh
The linking of the district hospitals will add another 700 increase of MBBS seats.