Indira Gandhi Medical College Shimla. MBBS 100 Seats. PG 113 Seats.
The medical college is a government institution and came into
existence in the year 1966 in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh.
The former name of the college is Himachal Pradesh Medical College till 1984.
The medical institution was renamed Indira Gandhi Medical College Shimla ( IGMCH) in 1984.
The affiliated university is Himachal Pradesh University.
UG / PG Courses – The under–graduate course of MBBS and post-graduate courses of Diploma, MD, MS, DM & MCh are available.
Admissions are done through the entrance examination conducted by Himachal Pradesh University on behalf of the government of Himachal Pradesh (Department of Medical Education & Research).
Admissions for MBBS Course are made based on the ranks obtained in Combined Pre-Medical Entrance Test conducted by Himachal Pradesh University.
This entrance exam is done on behalf of the government through Department of Medical Education & Research.
Admissions Under NRI Quota – Only Two (2) MBBS seats are available for admissions under NRI category.
- Candidates are selected by marks obtained in the 10+2 class.
- The student has to apply to Principal, Indira Gandhi Medical College & Hospital (IGMCH), Shimla – 171 001.
- The prospectus ( cost US $ 50) and application is available from the Controller of Examination, Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla – 171 005.
- If you are having good marks in your 12th or intermediate, then do not forget to apply to IGMCH Shimla, provided you are student from Himachal Pradesh.
- MBBS Course at IGMCH tuition fees for NRI students is US $ 13,000/- per year.
Indira Gandhi Medical College Shimla details in brief – Brief details about Indira Gandhi Medical College Shimla (IGMCH) and its attached hospital, facilities, address, contacts and recognitions are given below for the perusal of the aspirants.
Indira Gandhi Medical College Shimla (IGMC), Himachal Pradesh
Former College Name
Himachal Pradesh Medical College
Year of Establishment
Himachal Pradesh University
Shimla – 171001
+91-177-2804251, 2805502, 2651854-59, 2804251, 2805502, 2651854-59
Email : email@example.com
Website : www.igmcshimla.org
Kamala Nehru Hospital
100 seats. Admissions by Himachal Pradesh University through DMER conducted Combined Pre-Medical Entrance Test.
Diploma / MD / MS / DM / MCh
113 seats. Admissions by HP University on behalf of government conducted Entrance exam.
Medical College & UG / PG Courses are recognized by Medical Council of India.
Cath Lab and Dialysis facilities, Open Heart Surgery, Closed heart surgery including pace maker.
Fiber Optic Endoscopy, MRI, Eye Bank, optical penetrating eye grafting, Telemedicine, E-Library
2 hostels – Bhaba & Raman. Separate hostel for girls
IGMC Collaborations – Indira Gandhi Medical College Shimla has collaborations with premier medical institutions in India for its various activities.
- AIIMS – To start with for Open Heart Surgery IGMC collaborates with All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi.
- PGI – For its teaching and research activities IGMC associates with Post Graduate Institute (PGI) in Chandigarh.
- ICMR – For research project funding for the establishment of Research Laboratory and Cancer project, takes the assistance of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- DHS – IGMC has its collaboration with Directorate Health Services for various projects like (a) Cancer Project, (b) IDSP (c) MCV services through NRHM & HIV AIDS (d) RNTCP – Revised National Tuberculosis Programme.
- WHO – And certain research projects with World Health Organisation.
PG Specializations Courses of Indira Gandhi Medical College Shimla, Shimla
The post-graduate specializations of 113 seats of 28 different courses are mentioned below for your perusal.
Admissions are made based on the entrance examinations conducted by the government of Himachal Pradesh through Himachal Pradesh University.
PG Specialization Course Name
Diploma in Anesthesia (DA)
Diploma in Child Health (DCH)
Diploma in Clinical Pathology (DCP)
Diploma in Orthopaedics (D Ortho)
Diploma in Oto-Rhino-Laryngology (DLO)
Diploma in Radio-Diagnosis (DMRD)
DM – Cardiology
M.Ch – Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Surgery
MD – Anaesthesiology
MD – Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy
MD – Forensic Medicine/Forensic Medicine & Toxicology
MD – General Medicine
MD – Microbiology
MD – Paediatrics
MD – Pathology
MD – Pharmacology
MD – Physiology
MD – Psychiatry
MD – Radio Diagnosis/Radiology
MD – Radiotherapy
MD – Social & Preventive Medicine / Community Medicine
MD – Tuberculosis & Respiratory Diseases / Pulmonary Medicine
MD/MS – Anatomy
MD/MS – Obstetrics & Gynaecology
MD/MS – Ophthalmology
MS – ENT
MS – General Surgery
MS – Orthopaedics
IGMCH in the news for conducting a rare surgery on a patient.
- The patient was having swollen legs and many doctors could not diagnose the patient.
- Till the patient arrived in Indira Gandhi Medical College & Hospital Shimla and was diagnosed.
- Dr Rajeev Bhardwaj conducted the rare surgery.
- Angioplasty was conducted by the professor of Cardiology.
- The patient could walk within a week.
- Hats off to Dr Rajeev Bhardwaj and IGMCH Shimla.