3 Sep 2013
Medical Doctor | Career Option Ever In Demand
Medical Doctor, a profession, the noblest one on the planet earth. Anyone would sacrifice so many things in life to become one.
Dear medical aspirants jotted down are certain notable points to be engraved in your minds. The below mentioned points is just to warm up your mind and soul, if you are planning to become a doctor.
Students who have just finished XII Class are still not sure!
- What they may want to choose as their career.
- In this rapidly changing world, with so many options available, it is not surprising to be confused about having to choose one from the thousands of choices.
- This is one of the most critical decisions one has to make at the cross roads of his /her life.
- One has to spend his/her entire life in the profession one finally select.
- It is often helpful to discuss with people who have experienced this, or seek professional counseling.
Considering a career as Medical Doctor,
- It is important to know salient features of the field.
- It is always advisable to make an informed and logical decision, rather than an impulsive one.
- At the end, whatever profession you end up selecting, should be the one you can see yourself enjoying for the rest of your life.
Medical Doctor – A profession that is the oldest and most respected the world over.
- Many people are attracted to the medical doctor’s profession because it gives them an opportunity to mitigate the suffering of the people and save lives.
- People enduring pain and suffering; turn to doctor with great hope and expectation when they feel helpless and lost.
- On many occasions doctors are the last hope for them and their family.
- The unique relationship that the doctor has with your patient gives you a rare opportunity to be there with them in times of hardship and misery.
- Patients often seek, not only treatment from your medical doctor, but also your guidance and advice.
- You will have the opportunity to meet all types of people each and every day.
- You have the chance to have a positive impact on the lives of your patients and their families.
- It is rewarding to know that you have the ability to help another human being through a tough time.
- For this reason, medical doctors are given great respect in most societies.
- However, it demands a lot of sacrifice, sincerity, honesty, diligence, patience and discipline.
Medical Doctors Career Option Ever In Demand – Photo Credit Flickr
Everlasting demand of medical doctors in the society.
- According to data released by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, there are 7.5 lakh registered doctors but only 5.5 lakh practicing doctors in India.
- 80% of the doctors in India are working in urban areas where only 20% of the population lives and only 20% of the medical doctors are working in rural areas where 80% of the population live.
- Thus there is a huge shortage of medical doctors both in urban and rural areas.
- There will always be a need for medical doctors. No matter what the state of the economy and no matter which political party is in centre, treating and giving health to sick is only a medical doctor’s job.
- The population of the world is increasing, people and governments are getting more health conscious, more and more doctors are needed.
- Moreover, advancement in health technology, research and health consciousness among people has changed the scope of medical profession completely.
- What used to be science fiction yesterday has become a reality in today’s world.
- Obviously, many more medical doctors are required for the society to bring the medical and health care services to the doorsteps of the people.
A good doctor has a high earning career.
- The Planning Commission has estimated a shortage is 600,000 doctors in India.
- Canada, Australia, Singapore and some Gulf countries currently welcome qualified doctors as they have a shortage of medical professionals.
- There are over 70,000 medical doctors from India working in Canada, UK, USA and Australia.
- Salaries in developed countries begin at Rs. 24 lakhs /year.
- Some doctors earn in excess of Rs 100 lakhs per annum.
- Thus a medical doctor’s job is a respectable as well as a paying job.
Choosing medical profession as your future goal,
- That is one of the best decisions you could ever make in your life.
- However, the decision should come from your heart and not from anybody else.
- You must be convinced and be committed about your decision.
- It is a great opportunity for the young generation who is motivated and has a dream to become a medical doctor to work for humanity.
Basic Medical Degrees:
- The basic medical qualification obtained in Indian medical colleges is MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery,
- or in Latin: Medicinae Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirurgiae (abbreviated as MBBS).
- The MBBS course is four-and-a-half years, followed by one year of Compulsory Rotating Residential Internship (CRRI).
- The MBBS course is followed by MS, a post-graduation course in surgical specialties, MS or MD and DNB (Highly qualified P.G. and Super specialization), which are postgraduate courses in medical specialties usually of three years duration, or by diploma postgraduate courses of two years duration.
- Super or sub-specialties can be pursued and only a MS or MD holder is eligible. A qualification in a super- or sub-specialty is called DM or M.Ch.
49,418 MBBS seats in the 381 medical colleges and 24,100 PG seats in India.
- Of the 381 medical colleges, 205 are private and only 176 are government colleges.
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India is targeting additional 38,431 seats in the MBBS and 22,806 seats in the PG streams by 2021, representing a whopping rise of 92.45 per cent and 102.75 per cent respectively over the current availability.
- The target is 80,000 MBBS seats and 45,000 PG seats by 2021.
Minimum Requirement for admission to MBBS course
- The student should have attained 17 years of age as on December 31st in the year of Admission.
- He/she should have appeared and passed 10+2 from a recognized Board in India / Abroad with Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) and English as subjects in 12th and passed each subject…
- He/she should have obtained minimum 50% (40% for SC/ST/OBC) in aggregate in PCB.
National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET)
- From the year 2013 onwards, the Medical Council of India (MCI) had made the common entrance examination National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) mandatory for determining the eligibility for admission to all MBBS Seats in India.
- This will include both the private as well as the government medical colleges. This exam will be conducted by CBSE.
- Now with NEET, there will be a single entrance examination for all these colleges offering MBBS courses.
- Basically this will cover all the medical colleges coming under the ambit of Medical Council of India (MCI).
- For a candidate in order to be eligible for admission to MBBS Course for a particular academic year, it is mandatory for him/her to score minimum of marks at 50th percentile in “National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test” to MBBS course held for the said academic year.
- However, for candidates belonging to SC, ST, OBC, the minimum marks shall be at 40th percentile.
- In the last NEET examination held in May, 2013, altogether 717,127 candidates applied for NEET of which 658, 840 appeared and 366, 317 candidates were declared qualified for MBBS course.
- However there are only 41,569 MBBS seats in India.
- Being qualified under NEET test does not guarantee your admission to MBBS course.
- It depends on the state merit list and reservation quota.
- The question is what to do if you cannot get admission to MBBS through the normal channel.
Available Options for doing MBBS course to become medical doctor in other countries
- If you are still motivated to do MBBS course, there are many other options available.
- Many countries like China, Russia, Ukraine, Philippines, Bangladesh, Nepal, Romania, Mauritius etc. are offering MBBS course and accepting students from India at affordable fees.
- In China, there are more than 33 universities offering MBBS course in English language and admitting students from India for a tuition fee ranging from Rs.6 lakhs to Rs. 20 lakhs for the entire course.
- In all the Medical Universities in China the course duration is 5 years and 1 year for Internship to be done in China or the student’s home country.
- Basically it is 4 years 9 months course. Classes start in Sept/Oct/Nov every year and ends in July of the 5th year.
- The benefits for the students for studying MBBS in China are –no donation, no entrance examination, no English language test, MCI and WHO approved course, degree recognised worldwide, medium of instruction in English language, same syllabus with that of MCI, affordable fees, affordable living expenses, Clean and friendly environment.
Number of Medical Colleges abroad offer MBBS course and accept students from India at affordable cost.
- There are 150 medical colleges accepting Indian students in China.
- Similarly, there are 26 medical colleges in Bangladesh,
- 6 medical colleges in Nepal,
- 57 medical colleges in Russia,
- 14 medical colleges in Ukraine,
- 30 medical colleges in Philippines,
- 3 medical colleges in Hungary,
- 7 medical colleges in Romania
Hope is not lost, but found. Many medical colleges are waiting to make you a medical doctor. The medical universities abroad are welcoming the Indian students to study medicine and opportunities are always available to make your dreams come true. This is now high time for you to grab this opportunity to realize your dream of becoming a medical doctor.
This article is edited by Rao N, however, contributed by Dr.Khomdon Singh Lisam – MBBS, MHA(AIIMS), HSMC( London), MA(LEEDS,UK), CCEA( Chula, Bangkok), PDCE( UCLA/USA). Email:firstname.lastname@example.org