1 Aug 2012
NEET Mandatory – National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test to Become Mandatory
NEET Mandatory – National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test to become mandatory from the academic year 2013-14, will it?
NEET Mandatory (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test) to be made mandatory from the academic year 2013-14. Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has been directed by Supreme Court. On the orders of Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, the Medical Council of India has started the work to see that National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test is made mandatory from the academic year 2013-14 by all states of India.
The first step that the MCI took towards making the test mandatory is to upload the syllabus of NEET Mandatory on its website enabling for all to see and comment. Based on the feedback from all experts and sundry from nook and corners of India, Medical Council of India after taking into consideration everyone’s remarks refined the syllabus and uploaded on its website again.
However this time the uploaded copy is assumed to be the final copy, based on this curriculum, National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test will be conducted.
NEET Mandatory ! But 24 State Boards Curriculum are Not Uniform
This uploaded copy signifies that no matter what happens the government wants to conduct and make National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test mandatory from the academic year 2013-14. A debate has begun that whether NEET Mandatory curricula is acceptable by all states of India. The questions from the debate have logic, which is clear from the fact there are 24 boards in India. Each board has its own syllabus in the 12th & 10+2 classes.
- This non-uniformity of curricula will definitely cause confusion to the nearly 10 lakh aspirants who will sit for the mandatory entrance test to secure a seat in medical college to study MBBS Course.
- Let us also not forget that each state has its syllabus and pattern of study.
- There are some important sections of the state’s universities and associations that feel this non-uniformity of syllabus will create confusion & chaos in the minds of the students.
They feel that if National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test is made mandatory from the academic year 2013-14 in its present form, the students may be in disadvantage to secure the MBBS seat because of different NEET Mandatory curriculum.
Southern & Western States in favour of NEET Mandatory to be made optional
It is well-known that the southern and the western states of India account for almost 70 percent of seats. Hence the medical colleges in these states will definitely have a say in the scheme of things over the conducting NEET Mandatory made mandatory from the academic year 2013-14. The states of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, New Delhi and Maharashtra recently concluded a meeting suggesting that National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test need to be made optional instead of being made mandatory.
- They opined since the curriculum is not uniform among the states and not in synchronization with NEET Mandatory syllabus, hence in such a scenario making common entrance test mandatory instead optional for the country would not be proper.
- They also observed that National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test is conducted as per the CBSE (Central Board of Examination) model and becomes helpful to the students from the city having accessibility to modern coaching facilities.
- However, students coming from rural background and economically backward section are at a disadvantage of not having the luxury to afford such coaching facilities.
Further the exam is conducted in English and Hindi medium. The states of Andhra Pradesh & Gujarat are keen to have the option to write exam in Telugu & Gujarati medium.
Time will answer if NEET Mandatory will be mandatory or optional or postponed
- Well! Whatever. One thing is sure that all states of India are not completely in conformity of National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test being made mandatory from the academic year 2013-14.
- In such a scenario whether NEET Mandatory will be made optional or mandatory only times will give the answer.
- But for now the students of the country are sitting with the fingers crossed.
As of now on paper looks like National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test will be made mandatory from the academic year 2013-14. However considering various pros and cons for the students communities, practically looks like National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test instead of becoming mandatory from the academic year 2013-14, may be made mandatory or optional or even postponed for a further one or two years.
Details provided about NEET Mandatory in the above article are inconclusive. We expect you to please tell us if you find discrepancies in the article. We assure to update the article. Note: If the above article does not answer your question or you have another question. You may ask your question or give your experience or give your valuable comment / reply to this article “Will National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET Mandatory) become mandatory?”